Roasted lemon and thyme infused baked whole branzino with caper citrus sauce. This delicious recipe is a great way to enjoy one of the treasures of the Mediterranean.
- 1 whole branzino - clean, gutted, scaled (about 1.5 lb)
- 1 large lemon (cut in slices)
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 4 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 4 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper (taste)
- Coarse salt (taste)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 oz. capers
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 oz. dry white wine
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 2 oz. orange juice
- 4 oz. unsalted butter (cubes)
- 1 oz. parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Grease a medium sheet pan with olive oil.
- Place whole fish on one side and make three cuts on each side ( on a bias - about 1 and a half inch long).
- Season with salt inside and out.
- Stuff the inside of the branzini with 4 slices of lemon, sprigs of thyme and slices of garlic.
- Place fish in the oven at 350° F for about 30 minutes or until done.
While fish is in the oven:
- Place shallots and garlic with olive oil in a medium size pan at medium high heat.
- Cook for a minute and then add capers, lemon juice, orange juice, lemon zest, white wine. Reduce by half.
- Finish the sauce by adding butter and stir.
- Adjust seasoning - salt and fresh black pepper.
- Add chopped parsley and serve on top of fish when done.